Slider Header and New Blog Layout

      Kirstentacular has been updated! I have been wanting to change the template/layout of my blog for a while and I finally have! E...


      Kirstentacular has been updated! I have been wanting to change the template/layout of my blog for a while and I finally have! Everything that used to be on my blog is here somewhere plus there are a bunch of new handy features too. One of my goals was to get a slider header into my blog and blogger does not have or support slider headers- so of course it was kind of difficult to figure out- but I did it. 

How to get a Slider Header into Blogger, 4 easy steps

Step 1: Backup your current Template
Go to your template and first click Backup/restore (top right) and save a copy of your template to your computer. You can always revert by uploading this copy later if you mess up.

Step 2: Add the ability to add a gadget above your header
1) Go to your Template Click EDIT HTML
2) Click anywhere in the code and hit control + F to open a search bar
3) Put in maxwidgets and changed the number from 1 to 5 (you can change it to whatever you want).
4) Right after maxwidgets is showaddelement, Change no to yes. 
5) Save Template
6) If you need more help,  CLICK HERE- this explains how to do this really well. 

Step 3: Add the Powr Slider Gadget to your blog above your header
1) Go to your layout
2) You should see "Add a Gadget" above your header now
3) Add POWr Image Slider
4) You actually go to your live blog to edit this gadget, so save your template
5) Go to your blog and click the gears or cogs on the POWr slider and add your pictures
6) If you need more help, CLICK HERE.

Step 4:Get rid of your old Header (cause you don't need it now that you have an awesome slider!)
1) Click EDIT HTML.
2) Click anywhere in the code and hit control + F to open a search bar
3) Put in maxwidgets in the search bar. Find the text 'Header 1' locked = 'false'  and change the false to true.
4) Save Template 
5) Go into your layout and edit your header, you should now see a Remove button, click it and now your header will be gone.
6) If you need more help, CLICK HERE.

     The other goal I had was to find a FREE template that I liked that had each blog post as an individual picture that you have to click on to see more of the blog post. I also wanted the template to be customizable and that was where the problems began. Most Free templates are limited in their customization abilities. I finally found Lovely Templates. They have 13 free templates that are pretty much fully customizable in blogger. The site is organized and separated by blogger or wordpress- which I also thought was pretty cool. 



     Other features that I like are that a lot of my gadgets are hidden on "page 2" of my blog- which means that you see them as soon as you click on a blog page to see more. I had so many gadgets on my sidebar that it was a little out of control. These are now spaced out in the top menu, the bottom of the main blog page, and the second page of my blog. This is where my blogroll is for example- so my fellow friend bloggers- your blogs are still showcased on kirstentacular. They are just in a different spot now. 

     I also have some link pages in the top menu that are new and I think will be very helpful. I made a regular slurl teleport page to make shopping easier and I added Fitmesh links as well. 
Fitmesh Flickr- I created a flickr group for fitmesh. Please join the group and add your pretty fitmesh pictures. 


What do you guys think of the new Kirstentacular?

Love, Kirsten Corleone

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting on my blog!